15th Pune International Film Festival
12th –19th January, 2017
World Cinema Feature Film Competition / Global Cinema Non Competition
The Pune International Film Festival is a non-commercial film festival jointly organized by the Pune Film Foundation (hereafter called “PFF”) and the State Government of Maharashtra.
The following is an explanation of Rules and Regulations governing the submission of a film for consideration at the 15th Pune International Film Festival (hereafter called “PIFF”).
The PIFF selection committee chooses and invites the films which will be presented in World Cinema Feature Film Competition (hereafter called “WCFFC”) or Global Cinema Non Competition (hereafter called “GCNC”) Section. There is no entry fee for submissions.
By agreeing to the Terms And Conditions, the person submitting the Film (hereafter called the “Applicant”) acknowledges that he or she has obtained consent from all owners, creators, writers, Producers and other authorized representatives of the Film whose consent is required to submit the Film to PIFF, and has read and understood the submission rules and regulations set forth below. In case any of the requirements mentioned in this part of the regulations are not completed by the applicant, the entry is liable to be rejected summarily.
- Film must be a feature film over 70 minutes in length.
- Film must be produced between 1st January, 2015 and 15th November, 2016.
- Film must have Censorship visa / certificate of the country where the film has been produced.
- Film screened in earlier editions of “PIFF” is not eligible.
- Film must not have been previously screened publicly in Pune or released ( DVD/Blu ray or television or internet broadcast).
- Dubbed/ remade versions are not eligible for entry.
- Maximum of three entries would be allowed from an applicant.
- All entries must be either in English or with English subtitles. Non-English entries submitted without English subtitles are not eligible.
- Promotional, educational, Student and documentary films are not eligible for submission.
HOW TO ENTER YOUR FILM
- Applicant must submit the entry form and preview screeners for pre-selection. Only final version DVD (all region) with English subtitles and watermark is accepted.
- Entry form can be submitted online through our website www.piffindia.com and a hard copy can be sent with the Preview screener.
- The last date for receipt of applications along with preview DVD is 15th November, 2016; if it is a holiday, the next working day will be treated as the last date for receipt of entry. Applications received after the last date would be rejected.
- The cost of sending preview screeners will be paid by the applicant. PIFF reserves the right to refuse any shipments entailing additional costs.
- PIFF accepts no responsibility for damage suffered during delivery of the screener to the Festival.
- Applicant must send the package with the following customs declaration: “No commercial value, for cultural purposes only.”
- Entries marked with captions such as “Preview copy” channel logo etc. can be sent for preview to selection Panel but the screening copy must be clean and clear of above caption/logos.
- Preview Copies of films not selected will not be returned to the applicant.
SELECTION OF FILM
- The films will be selected by a duly constituted selection committee. The selection committee for selection shall comprise of at least 3 members (including the chairperson).
- Any person directly or indirectly associated with any of the entries shall not be eligible to serve on any of the selection panel.
- The Director of PIFF / his /her nominee may be present at the time of deliberations of the panels regarding the entries. They shall not participate in any of the deliberation.
- The decision of the selection panel shall be final and no appeal or correspondence regarding their decision shall be entertained.
- If a film has not been selected, it is PIFF’s policy not to provide any feedback, comments or reasons for films that are not selected for the programme.
GUIDELINES FOR FILMS SELCTED
- Once selected, the screening copy of the films must be submitted in DCP format with English subtitles.
- If the final print (DCP) does not reach PIFF office by 3rd January, 2017 the film will not be screened. This dead-line is imperative.
- A stand-by Blu ray copy of each film with subtitles must be provided to PIFF along with the final print.
- The title(s) of the film(s) sent, shipping details including the dates of dispatch and the air consignment number must be emailed to the programming team on: email@example.com
- Film not presenting sufficient technical qualities for good public screening can be refused after checking of the print by the Print Checking Unit of PIFF.
- After the Festival, the screening copy will be returned to the senders by air freight or official courier agency at the cost of PIFF.
- It may also please be noted that the “PIFF” cannot reimburse any freight or other charges on foreign currency, unless previously agreed in writing. PIFF will not bear freight or any other charges for unsolicited films, videos / DVD sent to it, if these are not selected for screening in the Festival.
- The special arrangements made by the “PIFF” for clearance through Indian Customs in Mumbai are applicable only in the case of consignment directly air-freighted on request and addressed to this Festival Office. In the case of the publicity material, etc. sent pre-paid by Courier Services or through agents in India. The concerned courier service/agent should be instructed to deliver the material directly to the PIFF office in Pune. PIFF shall not be responsible for any material that is diverted to some other city or festival in India, also the freight for the same will be paid by the concerned party or festival.
- Complete documentation for each selected film is to be made available to the Film Department when required.
- PIFF does not pay any screening fee, if the films are selected in WCFFC.
- If the film is selected in WCFFC, PIFF will invite any one of the representatives of the film the Director/ Lead actor/ Producer to present the film. PIFF will offer to & fro economy class air ticket, 3 days accommodation and local transport.
- Film not selected for the WCFFC may be shown in the GCNC section with the consent of the Applicant.
- Once a film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme during the event. If withdrawn the Film Director and Production Company will be barred for next 5 years.
- Programming is at the sole discretion of the heads of each festival section and their decision is final and irrevocable.
- Applicants of all selected films are required to use the logo of PIFF in their film’s publicity and promotional materials. The logo must not under any circumstances be modified or altered without prior written permission from the Festival.
The Insurance of prints in transit from the country of origin to the Film Festival Office and from the Festival Office to the country of origin will be the responsibility of the Applicant, the Festival Office will insure the prints against damage, partial and total, by fire, theft or any other unnatural causes from the moment it takes delivery of the print to the moment it hands them back to the concerned airline/ agency for dispatch. The insurance value will be the print cost as specified in the Entry Form, supported by documents from the concerned laboratory. Damage to the print, if any, should be certified by an independent agency at the cost of sender.
JURY & AWARDS FOR WCFFC
- The Jury for the WCFFC will be composed of minimum five members [including the chairman] of which a majority will be from outside India.
- Decisions of the jury will be reached by an absolute majority of votes. The jury can evolve its own methods for assessment of the entries.
- The members of juries must not have participated in the making or the commercial exploitation of any film in the competition they are judging.
- The Festival Director, the Artistic Director, the Programme Director and/or their representative may attend jury deliberations but will take no part in the voting.
- The decisions of the official juries are final.
- Jury members are sworn to secrecy. They will refrain from releasing any articles or reviews to the press concerning the films submitted for their judgment until after the jury’s decisions have been formally published.
THE FOLLOWING PRIZES WILL BE GIVEN AWAY
(Beneficiary should submit all the necessary documents for the cash Awards. All Transfer charges and other Taxes will be borne by beneficiary).
- Government of Maharashtra “Prabhat” Best International Film in world cinema competition section, a cash prize of '10, 00,000/- (' Ten Lacs) equally divided between the Director and Producer. The Best Film Trophy will be given to the producer of the film.
- Government of Maharashtra "Prabhat" Best International Film Director in world cinema competition section, a cash prize of '.5, 00,000/- ('.Five Lacs) along with the trophy.
- Special Jury Award [non cash]: The Jury will decide the categories in world Cinema.
- Applicant will allow usage of video clips and printed material for promotional use in Medias and at live Festival events and festival social media sites (website/facebook/ twitter).
- Applicant must agree that if their film wins any award at PIFF, all screenings and publicity thereafter, will acknowledge the Award(s) on the film itself.
- The award winning film of WCFFC will be the Closing film of the festival. In that case the applicant has to allow an extra screening.
- Films will initially be screened at PIFF provided that no claim of any kind would lie against the PIFF for their inability to screen a film due to technical or any other unforeseen reasons.
- The Chairman of the PFF has the power to settle all cases not covered by the present rules and regulations. The venue of arbitration shall be at Pune, India.
- Participation in the PIFF implies acceptance of all the aforementioned regulations and respect of pre-selection conditions.
CORRESPONDENCE AND SHIPPING ADDRESS
Dr. Jabbar Patel,
Pune International Film Festival.
Flat No 1, Sarjai Building,
Near Sai Baba mandir,
Mukund Nagar,Pune -Satara road,
Pune - 411037, India
Tel: +91 20 24264747
Download the pdf of the Entry Form here.
Online Entry login here