South Asian International Performing Arts Festival (SAIPAF) is the annual celebration of the diverse perspectives, ideas, and imaginations of artists from the South Asian subcontinent and/or who belong to the South Asian diaspora. SAIPAF is registered as a non-profit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization in the USA.
- Provide a platform to established and emerging artists and professionals involved in all aspects of performing arts (creative and technical)
- Encourage cultural exchange and dialogue
- Re-define the very definition of South Asian ‘artist’ by including a plethora of works, including but not limited to music, dance, theatre, standup comedy, performance art, and slam poetry
- Provide mentorship, marketing know-how and financial support
- Move the conversation forward on issues concerning artists of South Asian origin and other pertinent cultural and political issues
SAIPAF is currently accepting applications for 2017.
Productions as well as individual artists are welcome to submit.
Projects must include either one artist of South Asian origin and/or a thematic/plot element that explores issues concerning South Asia and/or the South Asian diaspora. Artists, upon acceptance to festival, will receive a portion of net profit. The festival will take place in Manhattan.
SAIPAF delivers a range of resources to our participating shows including mentorship, financial assistance and marketing materials. They help you produce your show as easily, effectively, and affordably as possible, but they do NOT produce the individual shows/artists. SAIPAF is a presenting platform.
You and your producing partners will be responsible for all the aspects of producing your show – such as casting, rehearsals, show-specific staffing, design, physical production, and the many details and decisions required to successfully present your project.
APPLICATION AND FEE
Any artist associated with performing arts and of South Asian origin ie. writers, directors, sound designers, actors, musicians, singers, poets, performance artists, technical directors, producers, set designers. BOTTOM LINE: If you are of South Asian origin and you do anything associated with performing arts, YOU can apply.
There is a small application/performance fee for the festival. However, all artists/groups are required to submit a security deposit . As long as the artist/group shows up to all performances AND respects the rules and regulations of the festival and the space, the security deposit is returned to the artist.
- Actors and Stage Managers - All productions are REQUIRED to have a Stage Manager and Lighting Designer (it may be the same person). Variety show participants are EXEMPT from this requirement.
- Other Production Staff - Director, Board Operators, Crew, etc.
- Rehearsal Space
- Set Materials and Construction Costs - Remember: keep the show high-concept and low-tech. There will be at the most 1hr load-in and load-out per performance.
- Additional/Special Technical Needs – SAIPAF does not provide a projector.
- Your show will be scheduled in Manhattan for the duration of SAIPAF.
SAIPAF will split all ticket sales with performing artists. Artists will receive a % of profit SAIPAF earns based on the tickets sold to their particular show/s. If a show is sold out, the artist will receive a slightly higher % of the show's ticket sales.
Click here to apply
Click here to go to SAIPAF website